Reuven and Ann Robinson
Crockpot: cook for 8-10 hours set at High. Oven: Bake covered at 250 degrees F (120 C) for 8 - 10 hours.
The recipe for Vegetarian Cholent comes from Montreal chef Gigi Cohen, owner of the Cafe Juicy Lotus and respected teacher of kosher vegetarian cooking. In an article by Susan Schwartz published by the Montreal Gazette (Feb. 15, 2011), this recipe for cholent appeared - it is colorful, nutritious and filled with many wonderful flavors.
Equipment needed for Vegetarian Cholent:
- crock pot large enough to serve 10
- - or - a 6 quart pot such as a Dutch oven or oval roaster suitable for the oven
- 1 cup (250 ml) dried chickpeas
- 1 cup (250 ml) dried navy beans
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled, left whole
- Optional: 4 raw eggs in their shells
- 1 large onion, cut into quarters
- 4 peeled cloves of garlic
- 1 cup (250 ml) kamut, barley, wheat berries or rice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp. tamari sauce
- Handful of porcini mushrooms
- 1/2 cup raisins (125 ml) or another dried fruit
- 2 tbsp. honey (30 ml)
- 1/2 tsp. (3 ml)cardamom
- 1/2 tsp. (3 ml) cumin
- 1/2 tsp. (3 ml) turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. (3 ml) sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp. (3 ml) cinnamon
Layer surface of pot with chickpeas and navy beans. Over that, place the potatoes, left whole, in the pot. If using eggs, place them among the potatoes. Add onion quarters, garlic and then the kamut or other grain selected. Drizzle oil, tamari sauce, mushrooms, raisins, honey, and each of the spices.
Cover with water to top of pot.
Sephardic Tunisian Cholent
Dafina Moroccan Cholent
4 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Reduce the heat to medium low, and simmer for 1 hour. Skim off the foam occasionally. Cover the pot tightly, place in the oven, and cook
overnight, or cook on low on the stove for 5 to 6 hours, or until meat is tender and done.
Preheat oven to 225F.
In a large pot, heat the oil and sautee the onions and garlic until soft and translucent. Add the chickpeas, bones, meat, potatoes, honey, paprika, cumin, allspice, cinnamon, turmeric, saffron, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste. Add enough water to cover, place the unshelled eggs in the center, and bring to a boil.